Thursday, May 03, 2007

Rage Against the Machine reunites

cater to the hollow


Somewhere, John - the best man at my wedding, and one of my best friends - is one happy camper. I remember when Rage broke up and 3 of the 4 members started jamming with Chris Cornell to form Audioslave. I was a big fan of the first album. I recall watching a surprise first performance by Audioslave on evil MTV which drew me in. John, though, wasn't too excited, "It's just not Rage.", he said when I asked him how he liked the album. And that was kind of a consensus for most of my friends who were into RATM.

I myself, wasnt as big a fan of RATM, although I did really like them. Im a
singer, so rap (a small majority) can be appreciated at a distance. I cant dedicate myself to it though because I'll eventually want to start singing. Zack De La Rocha, is phenomenal though. His lyrics are full of truth and smite and when he's performing you can feel the emotion in each word. Guitarist Tom Morello, drummer Brad Wilk and bassist Tim Commerford are all awesome in their own right as well, with Tom manipulating his guitar sounds so it sounds like anything but. The man also practiced in the old days with Adam Jones, the wonder from TOOL. I enjoy watching the band as a whole perform, their energy is unmatched. I saw a DVD of their "Battle
for Mexico City" show. They were playing in these sort of ruins in front of what seemed like an ocean of people - all jumping and screaming and singing along. I felt I was there instead of sitting on my friend's couch living green. Audioslave's first album of the same name was, in my eyes, a huge album. I thoroughly enjoyed the tracks and listened to it for quite some time - their follow ups were disappointing.

All in all, Im happy that a great band is back together to make great and inspiring music, and also that John can soak up their new material. I can almost see him rapping along....

Boat drinks, mate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home