Thursday, October 20, 2005

NBA Dress Code Racially Motivated?

On October 17th, the NBA released a dress code policy effective with the start of the regular season. Stephen Jackson of the Indiana Pacers states the move is racially motivated because the new rule about jewelry targets young black males claiming chains are associated with hip-hop culture. Boston Celtics' Paul Pierce adds, ``When I saw the part about chains, hip hop and throwback jerseys, I think that's part of our culture...The NBA is young black males.''
But I'm not sure where anywhere on the Code it states NO HIP HOP CLOTHES ALLOWED! From what I've read, it states "business casual attire" meaning slacks or khakis, button down shirt or sweater and dress shoes. So, no jerseys from another team, no sunglasses indoors (I mean really whats the point in that anyway?). It also means no cutoff shirts or shorts for anybody. Even if you arent "black" or "HipHop" you still cant wear it. And even though african americans make up "95%" of the NBA, there are other people that wear jewelry, jerseys etc.
Of course the NBA is not going to blatently come out and say "We just dont want black people to wear hip hop attire!" But they are not singling anyone out by any means. Im "rock" and I'd love to wear a cut off shirt, torn jeans with no shoes to work, but I can't. I work for a company who has a business casual dress policy. I am representing them when I am at work and I believe they could care less how I dress on the weekends or holiday. Is it fun dressing in khakis with dress shoes everyday? Not to me, and Im making pocket change when it comes to the millionaires this is affecting. So what if you cant wear your stuff? Unless you live on the court, this shouldnt matter to you. Just be glad youre one of the most talented people in the WORLD, playing a sport you've loved your whole life. Are you really not going to play anymore because youre an unprofessional Professional. Suck it up. As hard as you look with those ten pound spinning gold chains, why cry when something does not go your way?
So, instead of playing the race card look at it from the broad perspective that it is affecting the whole. Ignorance and selfishness isnt going to make this go away. It is only making it worse. Why would you want to work in a "racist" organization anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home